What do I major in?
A major is like a wedding dress. You try it out and you don't even have to think about it. You just know. It's right and it makes you feel glowy + happy.
If you were supposed to automatically know your passion at 18, then how do you suppose so many students switch their majors multiple times and end up staying years extra? Or people who just major in something "general" to give them options?
The best thing about college: Freedom of what you study
Yes. True. But, how do you decide? When I transferred to my college, I knew I wanted something creative. I don't do math or science and I love to express myself. I looked at all majors creative, scanned the classes, and luckily, I love the major I'm in. But for some, they don't have a specific interest or they have too many (people always say this is a wonderful problem to have, but it can be difficult. How do you decide what will fulfill you)?
So, here are some questions I curated for you to find your perfect major:
1. What do you do when you have free time?
Draw? Read? Exercise?
2. What classes do you LOVE? What do you HATE? What are you GOOD at? What are you BAD at?
3. What ways do you learn? Visually? Hands-on? Audio?
4. What lifestyle do you expect when you're older?
Do you want an office job and a steady family? Do you want your own hours? Do you want to travel?
5. Are you type A or B?
6. What does your family and closest friends say you're good at? What do they love about you?
7. What do you find yourself doing that makes you lose a sense of time?
Listening to podcasts? Writing?
8. Do you consider yourself introverted or extroverted? Shy or outgoing?
9. How many years of school can you bare?
10. And last, and definitely least (because passion WILL put your dinner on your plate), how much $ do you want to make? Do you want to sacrifice passion and limited money in the beginning for a wealthy and boring career?
And, maybe some more simple questions:
Do you like the outdoors? Do you like routine? What do you hate about current jobs? Creative or not?
Answer these questions and curate your answer! For an example, if I am creative, hands-on, outgoing and great at working as a team, and only want to go to school for 4 years, I may choose to be a interior designer rather than doing something like advertising.
Hope this helps you along your beautiful journey!